This project aims at assisting the Government of Lebanon with the enabling activities necessary to undertake the Second Biennial Update Reporting (BUR) to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) and its submission to the Conference of the Parties in accordance with the guidance provided by the UNFCCC. The BUR2 will include a) updated National Circumstances, b) GHG National Inventories, c) information on mitigation actions and domestic MRV, d) constraints and gaps, and related financial, technical and capacity building needs including description of support needed and received, and e) information on level of support received to enable the preparation and submission of the biennial update report.
- - Start Date: July 2016
- - Expected End Date: June 2019
- - Funded by: Global Environmental Facility (GEF)
- - Managed by: UNDP-Lebanon
- - Executed by: Ministry of Environment
- - Budget: 352,000 USD
The project will assist the Government of Lebanon to perform the activities necessary to prepare the second Biennial Report to the Conference of Parties in accordance with guidelines of the UNFCCC.
In order to improve climate change governance and meet the challenges that will face Lebanon as a results of climate change, there is a need to mainstream climate change concepts into national and sectoral development plans. This project does on a broader level and as part of its ultimate and long term objectives, contribute into mainstreaming climate change concepts by strengthening the institutional capacity in parallel to the other projects running at the Ministry of Environment such as the Third National Communication and the Low Emission Capacity Building project.
Achievements and Results
- - Revised and updated national circumstances and institutional arrangements relevant to the preparation of the national communications and the biennial update reports;
- National GHG inventory and report for the year 2013;
- - A description of mitigation actions and the extent of GHG reduction achieved, including associated methodologies and assumptions;
- - Information on domestic MRV system and progress of implementation of any institutional arrangements and framework for domestic MRV;
- - A description on constraints, gaps and related needs to meet the objectives of the Convention, and the level of support received for the preparation and submission of the BUR2;
- - Publication and submission of the second Biennial Update Report according to the guidelines contained in Annex III of decision 2/CP.17.
Target Groups / Beneficiaries
Government of Lebanon (through the concerned ministries), Public and Private sector.
Lebanon's Second Biennial Update Report to the UNFCCC
Project Manager: Lea Kai Abouajoude
Address: Ministry of Environment, Azarieh Bldg., 7th Fl., room 7-38
Phone: +961-1-976555 ext 507