The project aimed at providing Lebanon with the enabling activities necessary to prepare and report the Third National Communication (TNC) to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), which comprises the updated national greenhouse gas (GHG) inventory, as well as mitigation, vulnerability and adaptation analysis and policy recommendations.
for the report.
- Start Date: January 2013
- Expected End Date: 2016
- Funded by: Global Environmental Facility (GEF)
- Managed by: UNDP-Lebanon
- Executed by: Ministry of Environment
- Budget: 480,000 USD
The project aimed at providing Lebanon with the enabling activities necessary to prepare and report the TNC to the Conference of Parties (CoP) in accordance with guidance of the UNFCCC, with an overall goal to maintain and strengthen the national capacity of the country for continuous fulfillment of its commitments under the Convention.
Achievements and Results
- Updated Lebanon’s greenhouse gas (GHG) national inventories for the year 2005 and time-series covering the period from 1994 to 2012;
- Updated analysis of potential GHG mitigation measures to key categories and progress achieved so far;
- Updated assessment of potential impacts of climate change on food security, social development, and poverty;
- Proposed adequate adaptation measures.
Target Groups / Beneficiaries
Government of Lebanon (through the concerned ministries), Public and Private sector.
Lebanon's Third National Communication to the UNFCCC
Project Officer: Lea Kai Abouajoude
Address: Ministry of Environment, Azarieh Bldg., 7th Fl., room 7-44
Phone: +961-1-976555 ext 507