This project aimed at assisting Lebanon with the enabling activities necessary to undertake the preparation of Lebanon’s First Biennial Update Reporting (BUR) to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) and its submission in December 2014. The BUR includes an updated greenhouse gas (GHG) national inventory and information on the emission reductions of the various mitigation actions undertaken in the country as well as information on the domestic Measuring, Reporting and Verifying (MRV) system.
for the report.
- Start Date: December 2013
- Expected End Date: February 2015
- Funded by: Global Environmental Facility (GEF)
- Managed by: UNDP-Lebanon
- Executed by: Ministry of Environment
- Budget: 321,461 USD
The project assisted the Government of Lebanon to perform the activities necessary to prepare the First Biennial Report to the Conference of Parties (CoP) in accordance with guidelines of the UNFCCC. As part of its ultimate and long term objectives, this project contributed in mainstreaming climate change concepts by strengthening the institutional capacity in parallel to the other projects running at the Ministry of Environment (MoE) (especially the Third National Communication).
Achievements and Results
- Revised and updated national circumstances and institutional arrangements relevant to the preparation of the national communications and the biennial update reports;
- National GHG inventory and report for the year 2010;
- A description of mitigation actions and the extent of GHG reduction achieved, including associated methodologies and assumptions;
- Information on domestic MRV system and progress of implementation of any institutional arrangements and framework for domestic MRV;
- A description on constraints, gaps and related needs to meet the objectives of the Convention, and the level of support received for the preparation and submission of the BUR;
- Publication and submission of the first BUR according to the guidelines contained in Annex III of decision 2/CP.17.
Target Groups / Beneficiaries
Government of Lebanon (through the concerned ministries), Public and Private sector.
Project Officer: Lea Kai Abouajoude
Address: Ministry of Environment, Azarieh Bldg., 7th
Fl., room 7-44
Phone: +961-1-976555 ext 507